Not the Book
Dr. Childs’ “Not The Book Again” approach is in support of taking “real life” experiences in students’ lives and creating a learning environment of reading that can be carried with a student everywhere—not just in a book. This allows for easier integration of material across subjects, and allows students and teachers and parents to build relationships.
Students should see the benefits of the knowledge they already have around them. Our society is constantly telling (students) to leave what they know at the door, and learn something new, without engaging them first. In order to close achievement gaps, students need to know the power of using their knowledge outside of books and outside the classroom.
“Not The Book” seeks to meet the following objectives:
- To teach interactive ways to engage student learning in standards based Reading and Language Arts.
- To examine ways to make learning more accessible at home and school.
- To identify and examine strategies that promote a literacy rich environment.
- To present opportunities, activities, and strategies to improve student reading comprehension.
- To present curriculum to students in a manner that is less rigid, and more relevant.
What started as a presentation, has now become a book that will be directed at educators, parents, and students. Some sample activities include:
- Reading Your Way To A Vacation (aimed at End of the Year and Summer Break)
- Using Trash for Treasure (aimed at Sustainability, and integration of Math, Science, and Sequence)
- Using Graphic Sources From the “Real World” (focused on student surroundings and daily environmental elements which sharpen literacy skills)
Please continue to check back for updates on “Not the Book”, and please follow on twitter at https://twitter.com/doctorkchilds